Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Decatur Entertainment District
Mon April 1, 2013
Arts District Proposed in Ala City
The city of Decatur is considering whether to become the home of a new arts and entertainment district.
Council members are set to vote on the proposal, which includes a provision to let people carry alcoholic beverages on some streets.
Tina Hall operates The Brick Deli and Tavern in Decatur, and she thinks an entertainment district is a good idea. She thinks it will help the area.
But others aren't so sure. Joshlyne Springer of Florence says allowing alcohol outside of businesses could create less of a family feel in Decatur.
WAAY-TV (http://bit.ly/1182gWV ) reports that council members are scheduled to consider the idea at a meeting Monday night.
The proposal would include some restrictions, including types of containers that are allowed outside and specific boundaries for the proposed district.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.