Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Politics & Government
Tue December 25, 2012
AP: Tornado reported near Mobile
Editor's note: Mobile County Emergency Management says damage assessment crews will head out Wednesday morning to learn the extent of the toll from the violent weather that hit near Mobile on Christmas evening.
Pat Duggins, News Director
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Forecasters say a large tornado is heading for downtown Mobile with tornado watches in effect throughout much of southwestern Alabama. National Weather Service forecasters say the Mobile area will be under tornado watch until 10 p.m. Tuesday, and the approaching cloud was visible from downtown Mobile around 5:15 p.m. Forecasters are expecting damage reports as the storm system moves across the state, and information on existing damage was not immediately available. The storm is part of a severe weather system that has already impacted areas of Louisiana and Mississippi. A National Weather Service meteorologist based in Birmingham says a tornado watch is not in effect for the Birmingham area, although forecasters there are expecting damaging winds and hail in central Alabama.