Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed July 24, 2013
Andrew Lackey Execution In Ala. Set For Thursday
Family members of convicted murderer Andrew Lackey visited with him briefly at Holman Prison in Atmore Tuesday, two days before his scheduled execution Thursday.
Prisons spokesman Brian Corbett said the 30-year-old Lackey was moved at 4 p.m. Tuesday into a holding cell near the death chamber at Holman, where a lethal injection is scheduled to be administered at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Corbett said Lackey's mother, father, aunt and brother visited for about an hour and a half Tuesday.
Lackey would be the first person executed in Alabama in almost two years.
Lackey has dropped his appeals and asked that his execution date be set.
He was convicted of the 2005 Halloween night beating and shooting death of 80-year-old Charles Newman at Newman's home in Limestone County.