Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Fri August 30, 2013
Alien Promotion Scares Residents in Ala Community
A gimmicky promotion about an alien takeover at a radio station wound up scaring some residents of a north Alabama community.
Star 94.9 is changing formats in Tuscumbia, so it used a marketing ploy in which aliens take over the station to figure out what type of music appeals to humans.
But the promotion apparently scared some people.
The TimesDaily (http://bit.ly/17o2jAZ) reports that concerned parents and students called police and schools, and the station says it received phone calls, too.
Tuscumbia school superintendent Mary Kate Smith says absenteeism was up slightly Thursday, and she fielded a call from a worried parent. Police increased patrols at schools to ease concerns.
Station programming director Brian Rickman is apologizing for the confusion. He says the station didn't foresee any problems with the promotion.