Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Fri April 20, 2012
Alabama's Unemployment Rate Drops For 8th Month
Montgomery, AL – Alabama's unemployment rate has fallen for the eighth straight month to 7.3 percent for March.
That's down from a revised rate of 7.5 percent in February and a high of 10.0 percent in July. The state Department of Industrial Relations reports that the last time Alabama's unemployment rate was this low was December 2008. Alabama's rate was also below the national figure of 8.2 percent.
State Industrial Relations Director Tom Surtees said initial claims for unemployment have fallen to pre-recession levels.
Alabama counties with the lowest unemployment rates are Shelby at 5.1 percent; Coffee at 6.0 percent; and Lee at 6.2 percent.
Counties with the highest rates are Wilcox at 16.1 percent; Lowndes at 15.3 percent; and Dallas at 13.4 percent.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)