Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu January 9, 2014
Alabama's New Congressman Gets 2 Committees
Alabama's newest member of Congress has landed seats on committees that he says will be important to his south Alabama district.
Republican Bradley Byrne was sworn in Wednesday in Washington to represent the 1st Congressional District. The House Republican Steering Committee has placed him on the House Armed Services Committee and the House Natural Resources Committee.
Byrne said those were the committees he wanted. He said the Armed Services Committee is important because Austal in Mobile is a major defense contractor and provides nearly 4,000 jobs in southwest Alabama. He said the committee will also help him look out for military families.
Byrne said the Natural Resources Committee is critical because it addresses federal lands, offshore drilling, fisheries and marine policy.
Byrne was elected in a special election last month.