Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu January 9, 2014
Alabama's New Congressman Gets 2 Committees
Alabama's newest member of Congress has landed seats on committees that he says will be important to his south Alabama district.
Republican Bradley Byrne was sworn in Wednesday in Washington to represent the 1st Congressional District. The House Republican Steering Committee has placed him on the House Armed Services Committee and the House Natural Resources Committee.
Byrne said those were the committees he wanted. He said the Armed Services Committee is important because Austal in Mobile is a major defense contractor and provides nearly 4,000 jobs in southwest Alabama. He said the committee will also help him look out for military families.
Byrne said the Natural Resources Committee is critical because it addresses federal lands, offshore drilling, fisheries and marine policy.
Byrne was elected in a special election last month.