Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Largest Casino Opens
Tue December 17, 2013
Alabama's Largest Casino Opening In Wetumpka
The Poarch Creek Indians say Wind Creek Wetumpka features 85,000 square feet of casino space with more than 2,500 electronic games. A centerpiece of the new casino is a 16,000-gallon shark tank. The property includes five restaurants, as well as a 20-story hotel that will start opening in stages. The ribbon cutting is set for 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The new hotel and casino replace a smaller casino in Wetumpka. The $246 million attraction is larger than the tribe's Wind Creek Atmore, which had featured the state's largest casino.
Poarch Creek Tribal Chairman Buford Rolin says many tribal members and area residents are starting new jobs at the facility. It will employ 1,100 people in full-time and part-time jobs.
Poarch Band of Creek Indians
Arts & Life
Arts & Life