Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Politics & Government
Fri January 3, 2014
Alabama's jobless rate lowest in the South
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the South. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says Alabama's 6.2 percent rate for November is better than all neighboring states. Florida measured 6.4 percent, Georgia 7.7 percent, Tennessee 8.1 percent, and Mississippi 8.3 percent. Mississippi's rate was the highest rate in the South. Alabama's rate was also lower the Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina. Virginia, which traditionally has the lowest rate in the South, did it again in November with 5.4 percent. The bureau said the South had the lowest unemployment rate of any geographic region with 6.7 percent. The West had the highest rate at 7.6 percent.