Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Science & Health
Fri January 4, 2013
Alabama Weight Loss Program Begins 7th Year
A program designed to help Alabamians lose weight is kicking off its seventh year.
The state Department of Public Health is encouraging four-member teams to start forming for Scale Back Alabama. The teams will weigh in the week of Jan. 19-25 and weigh out the week of April 6-12. The winners will be announced April 26.
There is no charge to enter. Teams where each member sheds at least 10 pounds are eligible for a random drawing where the first prize is $4,000, the second prize $2,000 and the third prize $1,000.
Nearly 30,000 people participated in Scale Back Alabama during 2012 and they lost nearly 149,000 pounds. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention figures that 32 percent of Alabama adults are obese.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.