Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Science & Health
Fri January 4, 2013
Alabama Weight Loss Program Begins 7th Year
A program designed to help Alabamians lose weight is kicking off its seventh year.
The state Department of Public Health is encouraging four-member teams to start forming for Scale Back Alabama. The teams will weigh in the week of Jan. 19-25 and weigh out the week of April 6-12. The winners will be announced April 26.
There is no charge to enter. Teams where each member sheds at least 10 pounds are eligible for a random drawing where the first prize is $4,000, the second prize $2,000 and the third prize $1,000.
Nearly 30,000 people participated in Scale Back Alabama during 2012 and they lost nearly 149,000 pounds. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention figures that 32 percent of Alabama adults are obese.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.