Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri November 11, 2011
Alabama Veterans Await First State Veterans Cemetery
By Maggie Martin
Spanish Fort, AL – Today is Veterans Day, where the nation remembers those who served in the U.S. military. Here in Alabama, military families will soon have a new spot where the state's servicemen and women can be laid to rest. The state hasn't had access to a veterans cemetery since 1962, when the first site near Mobile was closed down. Alabama Public Radio's Maggie Martin reports on the challenges of the project and what a new cemetery means for Alabama veterans and their families.