Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri May 17, 2013
Alabama Unemployment Drops to 6.9 Percent
Alabama's unemployment rate has dipped to 6.9 percent.
Gov. Robert Bentley said the preliminary April rate is below the 7.2 percent recorded in March and the 7.4 percent measured a year ago. Bentley said the state saw two positive signs in April. The number of people employed increased and the number of people in the labor force increased. Bentley says that shows people are regaining confidence in the economy and looking for jobs.
Counties with the lowest unemployment rates are Shelby at 4.0 percent, Lee at 4.9 percent and Blount at 5.0 percent. The counties with the highest rates are Wilcox at 14.8 percent, Perry at 11.7 percent and Dallas at 11.4 percent.
Alabama Unemployment Rate
Federal Budget Cuts
Business & Education