Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
- Granade Clarifies Ruling, Birmingham to Remove Confederate Monument
Thu July 18, 2013
Alabama Unemployment Drops To 6.5 percent
Alabama's unemployment rate dropped to 6.5 percent in June, which is lowest rate in more than four years.
The state Department of Labor said the June rate was down from 6.8 percent in May, and it was the lowest rate recorded since Alabama hit the same figure in November 2008. It was also below the national figure of 7.6 percent.
The rate was supposed to be announced Friday, but the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics inadvertently released it early. State officials then provided details of the new rate.
Counties with the lowest unemployment were Shelby at 4.5 percent, Cullman at 5.6 percent, and Limestone and Baldwin at 5.7 percent. Counties with the highest rates were Wilcox at 15.8 percent, Perry at 14.0 percent, and Dallas at 13.4 percent.