Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Tue December 3, 2013
Alabama Troopers Report 11 Holiday Highway Deaths
Traffic fatalities on Alabama highways increased significantly during the long Thanksgiving holiday period.
Alabama State Troopers report they investigated eight crashes with 11 fatalities. That compared with five deaths during the same holiday period last year.
The fatal crashes occurred in Russell, Madison, Crenshaw, Walker, Autauga, Barbour, Pickens and Talladega counties. Troopers said preliminary investigations indicate alcohol was a factor in at least three deadly crashes, and seven of the 11 victims were not using seat belts.
The holiday period ran from 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27 through midnight Sunday.
Politics & Government