Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
George Lindsey Film Festival
Wed February 27, 2013
Alabama a Theme for 2013 Lindsey Film Festival
The George Lindsey Film Festival is beginning in Florence, but without its namesake.
The University of North Alabama's annual event starts Wednesday. It's the first time the festival has been held since the death last year of actor George Lindsey.
The festival includes several films that include the state of Alabama as a theme.
One of those movies is "Muscle Shoals," a documentary about the music industry in northwest Alabama. Another is "Eating Alabama," which looks at the state and its food.
There's also a student-produced movie called "Never Got a Dime" about Lilly Ledbetter, the former tire worker whose fight for equal pay led to a federal law.
The festival has been held annually since 1998, when it was started by North Alabama alumnus George Lindsey.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Alabama Music Hall of Fame
APR News Reports