Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Politics & Government
Thu August 2, 2012
Alabama Taxpayers Warned of Email Scam
The Alabama Department of Revenue says taxpayers should be on the lookout for an email scam that is using the department's name.
The emails say the taxpayer has been awarded gift cards or other prizes from the Department of Revenue. Revenue Commissioner Julie Magee says the department does not initiate communications with taxpayers through email. She said taxpayers should not reply to an email from someone who claims to represent the department and is seeking personal information.
The people operating the scam aren't being too careful about who gets the emails. The Department of Revenue noted that one of the emails went to the personal email address of one of its employees.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.