Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Fri December 20, 2013
Alabama State Trustees Chose Boyd As President
The trustees of Alabama State University have selected Gwendolyn Boyd as the university's new president.
The board voted Friday after interviewing three finalists at the Montgomery university. The other finalists were retired Brigadier Gen. Samuel Nichols and Democratic state Sen. Quinton Ross.
Boyd is a Montgomery native who earned her bachelor's degree in math from Alabama State, her master's degree in engineering from Yale University and her doctorate in divinity from Howard University. She is currently executive assistant to the chief of staff of the Applied Physics Lab at John Hopkins University.
She replaces Joseph Silver, who parted ways with the university a year ago after questioning some contracts. Boyd called the controversy "a blip on the radar."
Alabama State Presidency
Alabama St-Presidential Finalist
Alabama State University Audit