Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri December 20, 2013
Alabama State Trustees Chose Boyd As President
The trustees of Alabama State University have selected Gwendolyn Boyd as the university's new president.
The board voted Friday after interviewing three finalists at the Montgomery university. The other finalists were retired Brigadier Gen. Samuel Nichols and Democratic state Sen. Quinton Ross.
Boyd is a Montgomery native who earned her bachelor's degree in math from Alabama State, her master's degree in engineering from Yale University and her doctorate in divinity from Howard University. She is currently executive assistant to the chief of staff of the Applied Physics Lab at John Hopkins University.
She replaces Joseph Silver, who parted ways with the university a year ago after questioning some contracts. Boyd called the controversy "a blip on the radar."
Alabama State Presidency
Alabama St-Presidential Finalist
Alabama State University Audit