Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Fri December 20, 2013
Alabama State Trustees Chose Boyd As President
The trustees of Alabama State University have selected Gwendolyn Boyd as the university's new president.
The board voted Friday after interviewing three finalists at the Montgomery university. The other finalists were retired Brigadier Gen. Samuel Nichols and Democratic state Sen. Quinton Ross.
Boyd is a Montgomery native who earned her bachelor's degree in math from Alabama State, her master's degree in engineering from Yale University and her doctorate in divinity from Howard University. She is currently executive assistant to the chief of staff of the Applied Physics Lab at John Hopkins University.
She replaces Joseph Silver, who parted ways with the university a year ago after questioning some contracts. Boyd called the controversy "a blip on the radar."
Alabama State Presidency
Alabama St-Presidential Finalist
Alabama State University Audit