Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri August 8, 2014
Alabama Sororities Open Recruitment
Traditionally white sororities at the University of Alabama are beginning membership recruitment with a handful of black members for the first time.
The campus was engulfed in controversy last fall following reports some white groups rejected blacks because of race.
Administrators changed the rules, and the school says previously all-white sororities had a total of 21 black members in the spring.
The number of blacks in the 17 historically white social sororities remains small. The sororities had about 5,300 members total last school year.
Rush begins Friday evening for the traditionally white sororities and ends Aug. 16.
A smaller group composed of black sororities recruits new members later.
Alabama says it has the nation's largest Greek community.
Business & Education
UA sorority recruitment
University Of Alabama-Sororities
UA Sorority Racism
UA Sorority Recruitment