Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu June 3, 2004
Alabama Soldier Dies in Iraq
By Alabama Public Radio
Baghdad, Iraq – Army Captain Robert Sheetz Junior of Dothan died on Memorial Day from injuries sustained in Iraq. He was 31 years old. Sheetz was a battalion intelligence officer with the First Armored Division. He apparently was sleeping in a tent with other members of his unit Sunday when a bomb exploded nearby. The blast destroyed a Humvee, injured Sheetz and killed another soldier. Sheetz died the next day. The Department of Defense says Sheetz graduated from the University of Alabama and joined the Army in 1994. He had been stationed in Germany since 2001.