Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Tue September 10, 2013
Alabama Senator Opposed To Syria Resolution
U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama says he's opposed to a resolution for the use of American military force in Syria.
The senator announced his position Tuesday after attending a Senate Republican Conference lunch with President Barack Obama.
Shelby says the president failed to articulate a compelling American interest in Syria's civil war. He also says the president failed to explain what he intends to achieve, or how he intends to achieve it.
Shelby said "I will vote against President Obama's plan because it appears that he does not really have one."
A spokesman for Alabama's other senator, Republican Jeff Sessions, said he is undecided.