Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
2013 Legislative Session
Thu February 7, 2013
Alabama Senate Poised for Government Consolidation
Government consolidation and efficiency in on the agenda for the Alabama Senate.
Senate leaders said the Senate's work agenda Thursday will include a bill to consolidate and reorganize the more than 20 law enforcement programs in state government. The Senate also plans to take up bills cutting the number of legislative service agencies and reorganizing the state's information technology services, including creating a Cabinet-level secretary for information technology.
Thursday is the first day the Senate can pass any bills in the 2013 session. Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh said having the bills ready for speedy consideration in the Senate shows a commitment to reducing the size and cost of state government.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.