Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
General Fund Budget
Wed March 13, 2013
Alabama Senate Approves Budget
The Alabama Senate worked into the night to pass the budget to operate the state's non-education agencies. The Senate voted 22-9 Tuesday night to approve the General Fund budget and send it to the House for further consideration.
Budget committee Chairman Arthur Orr said the $1.7 billion budget follows most of the recommendations that Gov. Robert Bentley made when the legislative session began five weeks ago.
The budget does not include a cost-of-living raise for state workers, but it does encourage the governor to lift a freeze on merit raises. The budget requires most state agencies to get by next year on the same amount they are getting this year. Corrections and courts would get increases.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Governor - Education