Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
General Fund Budget
Wed March 13, 2013
Alabama Senate Approves Budget
The Alabama Senate worked into the night to pass the budget to operate the state's non-education agencies. The Senate voted 22-9 Tuesday night to approve the General Fund budget and send it to the House for further consideration.
Budget committee Chairman Arthur Orr said the $1.7 billion budget follows most of the recommendations that Gov. Robert Bentley made when the legislative session began five weeks ago.
The budget does not include a cost-of-living raise for state workers, but it does encourage the governor to lift a freeze on merit raises. The budget requires most state agencies to get by next year on the same amount they are getting this year. Corrections and courts would get increases.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Governor - Education