Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu October 4, 2012
Alabama Sen. Jerry Fielding Switches To GOP
Another Democrat in the Alabama Legislature has switched to the Republican Party. Sen. Jerry Fielding of Talladega County announced Thursday that he's joining the Republican Party. His switch gives the Senate 23 Republicans, 11 Democrats and one independent. The Republican Party has been picking up party switchers since it took control of the Legislature in the November 2010 election. Four Democratic representatives switched shortly after the election: Steve Hurst of Munford, Alan Boothe of Troy, Lesley Vance of Phenix City, and Mike Millican of Hamilton. Alan Harper of Aliceville made the switch in February. Democrats have picked up one Republican. Rep. Daniel Bowman of Sulligent joined the Democratic Party in 2011. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.