Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed August 7, 2013
Alabama Sells News Bonds For Industrial Incentives
State officials are issuing $33 million in bonds to keep promises to new and expanding industries and refinancing nearly $140 million in old bonds to save $12 million.
Two state boards headed by the governor voted unanimously Wednesday to refinance $1.9 million in bonds sold in 2001 for improvements at state parks and $137.7 million in bonds sold between 2001 and 2005 to pay for incentives the state promised new and expanding industries.
The bonds had been at interest rates of 4.5 percent to 5 percent. Bernardi Securities will handle nearly $1.9 million of the refinancing at 1.95 percent interest. Bank of America Merrill Lynch will handle $137.7 million at 2.47 percent.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch will handle the $33 million in new bonds for 3.63 percent interest.