Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Secretary of State
Mon June 24, 2013
Alabama Secretary Of State Race Drawing Candidates
The election to replace outgoing Secretary of State Beth Chapman is turning into a contest.
Crenshaw County Probate Judge Jim Perdue has joined state Rep. John Merrill of Tuscaloosa in the Republican primary. Former Montgomery County Probate Judge Reese McKinney says he plans to run as a Republican and will kick off his campaign in a few days.
No Democrat has announced yet.
Chapman has served two terms and is prohibited by state law from running again. Merrill says he expects a hot race, including the entry of a Democratic candidate, because secretary of state and state auditor look like they will be the only open offices in the Capitol for the 2014 election. All the other Capitol offices have incumbents running.
Politics & Government