Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon May 20, 2013
Alabama Schools Get Authority To Hire Security
The Alabama Legislature has authorized city and county school systems to hire armed security guards to protect students.
The Senate voted 21-0 Monday to go along with changes the House made to a school security bill sponsored by Republican Sen. Dick Brewbaker of Montgomery. The bill now goes to the governor for review.
Some schools now have guards supplied by their local police department or sheriff's department. But Brewbaker's bill allows school system to use their money to hire their own armed guards who have police training or hire trained guards through their local law enforcement agencies.
The bill was recommended by a legislative committee that reviewed school safety procedures after the killings at Sandy Hook school in Connecticut.