Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
School Flexibility bill
Fri March 1, 2013
Alabama School Flex Bill with Tax Credits Passes
The Alabama Legislature has passed a school flexibility bill that was expanded by Republicans to include tax credits for parents who move their children from failing public schools to private schools.
The revised version of the bill got passed by the House 51-26 Thursday night and then 22-11 by the Senate after a long shouting match. The bill now goes to the governor, who says he will sign it.
State school Superintendent Tommy Bice dropped his support for the bill. He said what started out as a good bill will now have a negative impact on public schools.
A Republican-dominated conference committee expanded the bill Thursday afternoon to provide tax credits for parents who move their children from a failing public school to a non-failing public school or private school.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.