Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
APR News Reports
Fri March 30, 2012
Alabama School District Allows Same-Sex Couples For Prom
By Maggie Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL – The Southern Poverty Law Center says Tuscaloosa County Schools will allow its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students to attend prom with same-sex dates. The school district also agreed to allow students to wear clothing with slogans supporting LGBT people. The district's statement follows a letter the SPLC sent to school officials in January on behalf of Brookwood High School student Elizabeth Garrett. APR's Maggie Martin talks with SPLC'S lead attorney, Sam Wolfe, about the situation.