Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Sun February 3, 2013
Alabama Republican Party Re-Elects Party Chairman
The Alabama Republican Party has re-elected party Chairman Bill Armistead despite a campaign by the governor and other top Republicans to oust him.
The State Republican Executive Committee voted Saturday in Birmingham, with Armistead defeating challenger Matt Fridy. The winner will lead the GOP into the 2014 elections.
Gov. Robert Bentley, Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and House Speaker Mike Hubbard supported Fridy. Armistead had the backing of Chief Justice Roy Moore.
Armistead told the executive committee that he led the party to major successes in the November election, including defeating the last Democrat in a statewide office and winning courthouse offices in traditionally Democratic counties. Fridy said the party is divided, despite its success, and it's time for a chairman to unite it.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
GOP Chairman Challenged