Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Mon January 21, 2013
Alabama remembers legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. will be remembered with several events in downtown Montgomery on the King holiday Monday. The Montgomery events include a march from the city's downtown post office to the Alabama Capitol starting at 1 p.m. The march will go past the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church. King helped lead the Montgomery Bus Boycott as the church's pastor in the 1950s. At the end of the march there will be a rally on the Capitol steps near where King spoke at the end of the Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights March in 1965. Also, Monday there will be a Unity Breakfast in King's honor at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center Complex. The doors will open at 6:30 a.m.