Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Wed January 1, 2014
Alabama remembers AP photographer Dave Martin
ATLANTA (AP) — Alabama's governor is among those lauding longtime Associated Press photographer Dave Martin, who died after collapsing at a college bowl game.
Gov. Robert Bentley issued a statement on Wednesday describing Martin as one of the best news photographers he's ever worked with. Martin traveled with the governor in 2011 to document a deadly tornado outbreak in Alabama.
Bentley said that Martin "told the story of the storm's devastation in some of the best photos I have seen."
Martin ran onto the field after Texas A&M's 52-48 win over Duke and took photos of Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin being doused with a water bucket. He collapsed on the field and died of an apparent heart attack.
Martin was at nearly every major news event in the South over the past 30 years, including Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf oil spill.