Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Wed January 1, 2014
Alabama remembers AP photographer Dave Martin
ATLANTA (AP) — Alabama's governor is among those lauding longtime Associated Press photographer Dave Martin, who died after collapsing at a college bowl game. Gov. Robert Bentley issued a statement on Wednesday describing Martin as one of the best news photographers he's ever worked with. Martin traveled with the governor in 2011 to document a deadly tornado outbreak in Alabama. Bentley said that Martin "told the story of the storm's devastation in some of the best photos I have seen." Martin ran onto the field after Texas A&M's 52-48 win over Duke and took photos of Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin being doused with a water bucket. He collapsed on the field and died of an apparent heart attack. Martin was at nearly every major news event in the South over the past 30 years, including Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf oil spill.