Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Obesity Task Force
Sun October 27, 2013
Alabama Obesity Task Force Targets Sugary Drinks
The Alabama Obesity Task Force has launched a yearlong campaign to try to get people to make healthy choices when deciding what to drink.
Health officials say the "ReThink Your Drink" campaign is aimed at reducing the amount of sugar-sweetened beverages that Alabamians have in their diets. They say a 20-ounce soda or sweetened tea can have 240 calories from sugar.
Task force member Miriam Gaines says the campaign will promote drinking plenty of water, watching calories and replacing sugar-sweetened beverages with skim milk or 1 percent low-fat milk.
The 172-member task force was formed to address obesity issues. Its ReThink Your Drink campaign will be showcased at a health summit Tuesday at the Pelham Civic Complex.