Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon May 20, 2013
Alabama Legislature Returns for Last Day
Alabama legislators are getting ready for the final day of their 2013 session.
The Legislature convenes at 9 a.m. Monday. Both chambers will have to decide whether to accept or reject the governor's proposal to delay tax credits for private school attendance for two years.
Pending in the House is a bill that would allow workers to keep guns locked in their vehicles while on the job. The House could also consider a bill requiring drug testing for welfare applicants if they have had a drug conviction in the last five years.
The Senate could decide whether to lift Alabama's limits on campaign contributions by corporations. Two bond issues for school security and school technology equipment are also awaiting a vote in the Senate.