Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Angela Davis Honored
Fri March 8, 2013
Alabama Legislature Honors Activist Angela Davis
Red state politics may have taken on a new meaning in Alabama.
Alabama's Republican-controlled Legislature passed a resolution honoring Angela Davis, who was a vice presidential nominee for the Communist Party in 1980 and 1984.
The resolution by Democratic Rep. Oliver Robinson of Birmingham won approval in the House Feb. 14 and in the Senate Feb. 19. Republican Gov. Robert Bentley declined to sign it, but it still became an official act of the Legislature.
Robinson says Davis is a Birmingham native, and he sponsored the resolution because she will be appearing in Birmingham March 30.
The chairman of the House Rules Committee, Republican Mac McCutcheon of Huntsville, says he did not connect the Angela Davis in the resolution with the activist Angela Davis.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.