Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama Pre-K Program
Wed February 6, 2013
Alabama Legislator Back Governor's Pre-K Expansion
Republican and Democratic legislators say Gov. Robert Bentley's plan to expand Alabama's pre-kindergarten program has broad support and will be approved by the Legislature.
Bentley called for the expansion in his State of the State address Tuesday night. Senate Democratic leader Vivian Davis Figures said an expansion will provide a solid foundation for Alabama children.
Bentley also proposed a 2.5 percent cost-of-living raise for teachers, which would be their first since fall 2007. Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard said lawmakers want to give a raise, but they need to make sure that much of a raise is sustainable in future years. Democratic Representative Thad McClammy of Montgomery says he's disappointed the governor didn't propose a raise for state workers. He said it's like cutting the baby in half.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
2013 Legislative Session