Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu July 22, 2004
Alabama Inmate Seeks Settlement
By Alabama Public Radio
Wetumpka, AL – A Tutwiler Prison inmate told a judge she hopes a settlement of a lawsuit over conditions at the prison will be approved. Estella Carter told U-S District Judge Myron Thompson she's been denied medication for her heart problems, high blood pressure and diabetes while at Tutwiler. Thompson toured the prison in 2002 and declared it unconstitutionally unsafe. He returned Wednesday for another tour and to hear from prisoners. The settlement calls for a doctor, mental health expert and attorneys and advocates from the Southern Center for Human Rights to supervise the prison for four years to make sure the state is following the rules.