Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Tue May 8, 2012
Alabama Home Brew Legalization Nears Passage
Montgomery, AL – The Alabama Legislature is getting close to make it legal to brew beer and wine at home.
The Senate Job Creation and Economic Development Committee voted 3-1 Tuesday for a bill allowing adults to make 15 gallons every three months. The bill by Republican Rep. Mac McCutcheon of Capshaw cleared the House in 44-33 last month. All it needs now is a vote in the Senate and signing by the governor.
Committee Chairman Paul Sanford of Huntsville said making wine and beer at home is an increasingly popular hobby. He said it's difficult to predict whether the Senate will pass McCutcheon's bill because lots of legislation is competing for attention with only three meeting days left for the Legislature.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)