Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue May 8, 2012
Alabama Home Brew Legalization Nears Passage
Montgomery, AL – The Alabama Legislature is getting close to make it legal to brew beer and wine at home.
The Senate Job Creation and Economic Development Committee voted 3-1 Tuesday for a bill allowing adults to make 15 gallons every three months. The bill by Republican Rep. Mac McCutcheon of Capshaw cleared the House in 44-33 last month. All it needs now is a vote in the Senate and signing by the governor.
Committee Chairman Paul Sanford of Huntsville said making wine and beer at home is an increasingly popular hobby. He said it's difficult to predict whether the Senate will pass McCutcheon's bill because lots of legislation is competing for attention with only three meeting days left for the Legislature.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)