Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu May 24, 2012
Alabama Governor Signs Both Budgets
Montgomery, AL – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has signed two state budgets into law.
Bentley said Thursday he didn't like everything the Legislature put into the education and General Fund budgets, but there were more positives than negatives.
Bentley said he waited to sign the budgets until the Legislature passed a use tax bill early Thursday morning. It moves part of the state use tax from education purposes to the General Fund budget.
The General Fund budget also depends on voters in September approving a transfer of funds from a natural gas revenue savings account and from the education budget. Bentley plans to travel the state to promote the referendum. He predicted voters will approve it if he explains it is a way to finance the General Fund budget without raising taxes.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)