Most Active Stories
- Selma 1865-- The First "March to Freedom"
- Selma-- "This is something I'll tell my kids..."
- From Bloody Sunday to a White Wedding
- SPLC response to Supreme Court decision, Alabama charter schools and food insecurity fundraiser
- AL Supreme Court halting same-sex marriages, State of the State address and charter schools
Tue May 20, 2014
Alabama Governor Candidate Promotes Lottery Plan
Republican candidate for governor Stacy George says his state lottery proposal could produce up to $200 million annually to help five programs.
During a news conference Tuesday in Montgomery, George said he would divide the money between volunteer fire and rescue squads, technical college scholarships, voluntary pre-kindergarten, the state General Fund, and downtown revitalization projects. He says contracts for the revitalization would have to go to companies in the communities being served, which would generate jobs in each town.
George faces incumbent Robert Bentley in the Republican primary June 3.