Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Business & Education
Tue August 19, 2014
Alabama Goes Against Trend on Unemployment
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says Alabama was the only state that had a higher unemployment rate in July than it did a year ago. July marked the second month that has happened.
The bureau says Alabama's rate of 7.0 percent for July compared to 6.5 percent a year earlier. The other 49 states had rates lower than a year ago.
The same thing happened in June. Alabama's rate of 6.8 percent was higher than the 6.5 percent measured a year earlier.
The national unemployment rate has declined over the last year from 7.3 percent to 6.2 percent.