Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Tue February 12, 2013
Alabama exports up in 2012
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Governor Robert Bentley says Alabama exports hit a record $19.5 billion in 2012. That was up more than 9 percent from the previous year. The governor said it's a sign that Alabama's economy is continuing to improve. The increase moved Alabama from 25th to 22nd among the states in exports. Bentley said Alabama exported products to 188 countries last year. Alabama's top markets were Canada at $3.9 billion, Germany at $2.5 billion, China at $2.4 billion and Mexico at $2 billion. The state's largest category for exports was transportation equipment, followed by chemicals.