Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Politics & Government
Tue May 20, 2014
Alabama Democratic Conference Backs Griffith, Sewell
The Alabama Democratic Conference has endorsed former U.S. Rep. Parker Griffith for governor and incumbent Terry Sewell for re-election to Congress.
ADC Chairman Joe Reed said the black wing of the state Democratic Party met in Montgomery to screen candidates and make endorsements. He said the ADC's screening committee recommended Griffith over Kevin Bass because of his support for expanding Medicaid, raising the minimum wage and making sure that tax dollars for schools are spent on public education.
Sewell got the group's support for a third term representing the 7th Congressional District. She is opposed by Birmingham attorney Tamara Harris Johnson in the primary election June 3. Sewell says she has partnered with the ADC to push forward shared values, including protecting the right to vote.