Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed October 27, 2004
Alabama Crime Stats Reverse of National Trend
By Alabama Public Radio
Undated – New federal crime statistics show Alabama's numbers are moving in opposite directions of the national averages. The state's murder rate dropped more than 16 percent between 1999 and last year. State authorities say they aren't sure why that happened, but it's a better statistic than the national average, which went up during that period. But overall crime in the country has been going down while Alabama's numbers have gone up. That includes an almost 7 percent increase in reported rapes and an 11 percent increase in reported robberies.