Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon July 12, 2004
Alabama Counties Receive Federal Funding
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – 46 Alabama counties will receive more than 409 thousand dollars from the federal government's "Payment in Lieu of Taxes" program. The program compensates local governments for losses to their tax base due to nontaxable federal lands within their boundaries. Governor Riley says the money is used for services like emergency response, public schools and roads. Cleburne County tops the list of those receiving funding with more than 36 thousand dollars. Lawrence County is next with almost 35 thousand...and Winston County will receive more than 30 thousand dollars. Last year...Alabama counties received almost 389 thousand dollars from the PILT program.