Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Fri January 11, 2013
Alabama Counties Approved for Disaster Assistance
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley says Mobile, Pike and surrounding counties have been approved for disaster assistance because of damage sustained in the Christmas Day outbreak of tornadoes.
Bentley says the assistance will come in the form of low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
The two primary counties listed on the disaster declaration are Mobile and Pike. But it also includes Baldwin, Barbour, Bullock, Coffee, Crenshaw, Dale, Montgomery and Washington counties in Alabama and George, Greene and Jackson counties in Mississippi.
Bentley says the HUD assistance will allow homeowners, businesses and nonprofit organizations that suffered losses in the Christmas Day storms to receive the low interest loans.
Those interested in applying for the loans can receive more information by calling the SBA's customer service center at 1-800-659-2955.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.