Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Abortion Clinic Bill
Thu February 28, 2013
Alabama Committee Sets Vote on Abortion Rules
A state Senate committee is scheduled to vote in one week on a bill that would establish tighter regulations for abortion clinics.
The Senate Health Committee heard public comments on the bill Wednesday and set a vote for next Wednesday.
The bill, sponsored by Republican Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin of Pelham, has already cleared the House. A favorable vote by the Senate committee would send the bill to the full Senate for a final vote.
Under the bill, doctors who perform abortions would be required to have admitting privileges at local hospitals.
The bill would also require clinics to make major building modifications. Opponents say that may cause clinics to close.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
2013 Legislative Session
Alabama House Health Committee