Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Politics & Government
Wed December 11, 2013
Alabama braces for cold nights
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Another blast of cold air is headed to Alabama, and officials in Birmingham are taking steps to protect homeless people. The city says it will open Boutwell Auditorium as a warming shelter nightly through Thursday. Temperatures are predicted to fall into the mid-to upper 20s each night until then. Temperatures will be even colder in north Alabama, where the National Weather Service says temperatures will dip into the low 20s. Milder temperatures are expected in south Alabama, but officials have issued a small craft advisory because of high winds and rough conditions in coastal waters.