Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Arts & Life
Mon March 11, 2013
Alabama Artist Tapped to Create Veterans Memorial
An Athens State University art professor is being tapped to create a bronze statue in a Tennessee park to honor veterans.
Al.com reports that the Giles County Chamber of Commerce leadership class in Pulaski, Tenn., has accepted a proposal for the memorial by artist Pamela Keller.
The memorial in Sharewood Park will feature a life-sized likeness of a man sitting on a park bench holding two dog tags close to his face in his left hand while in meditation. There will be a small American flag in his right hand.
Keller said it's a privilege to create the memorial. She's donating half of the artist's fee to honor her father, a Korean War veteran.
Fundraising is under way. Donations can be made at the Giles County, Tenn., Chamber of Commerce.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.