Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Politics & Government
Sat January 5, 2013
Alabama AG Commissioner Hires Another Opponent
Alabama Agriculture Commissioner John McMillan is hiring another rival from the 2010 campaign.
Deputy Commissioner Brett Hall says McMillan is bringing Shelby County businessman Dale Peterson on board. Peterson will serve as his confidential assistant with an annual salary of more than $72,000.
The two men faced off in the Republican primary in 2010. McMillan had previously hired the Democratic nominee for agriculture commissioner, Glen Zorn, to be his assistant commissioner.
Peterson says he didn't know McMillan until the campaign. But they became friends, and the commissioner asked Peterson to handle some special projects at the agriculture department headquarters in Montgomery.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.