Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Death Penalty Appeal
Fri November 9, 2012
Ala. Supreme Court Asks Lower Court To Reconsider
Alabama Supreme Court has asked the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals to take another look at the case of death row inmate Anthony Ray Hinton, convicted of killing two people during 1985 robberies at Birmingham fast food restaurants.
The 56-year-old Hinton had questioned the qualifications of a firearms expert who testified during the trial. The Supreme Court asked the appeals court to use a different standard when reviewing the trial judge's decision that the firearms expert was qualified.
The court ruled 7-0 to send the case back to the Court of Criminal Appeals. Justices Jim Main and Kelli Wise recused themselves because they were former criminal appeals court members. Justice Greg Shaw wrote he also was on the appeals court, but he said the issue was different then.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.