Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon April 28, 2014
Ala. Storm System Prompts Emergency Declaration
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency in response to a severe weather system that crossed the state.
Bentley said in a statement Monday evening that the declaration covers every county in Alabama, and that heavy damage has been reported in some areas that were in the path of a suspected tornado.
Bentley says all state agencies are ordered "to take necessary actions to respond to Alabama communities that need help."
The governor says 100 Alabama National Guard members are on stand-by and are ready to help in impacted areas if necessary.